Many people come to us wanting to lose weight but aren’t ready for weight loss surgery. The gastric balloon procedure is a non-surgical weight loss option ideal for those who want an intense period of weight loss and are committed to a long term sensible eating plan but just need a helping hand to get them started.
A gastric balloon can provide an efficient way to lose weight after pregnancy, immobility or yo-yo dieting. It may be that you need to lose weight because of a weight related co-morbidity such as polycystic ovary syndrome, before another surgery for example heart bypass surgery or you’re not medically fit enough for weight loss surgery. Whatever the reason, our dedicated bariatric staff at Winfield Hospital are here to help you.
What does a gastric balloon procedure involve?
A deflated gastric balloon is inserted through your mouth, down your gullet and into your stomach. The balloon is then inflated using sterile saline until it fills around 70% of your stomach’s capacity. It only takes about fifteen minutes and is usually carried out using mild sedation.
The gastric balloon is removed after six months. This is simply performed by deflating it and removing it in reverse to its insertion.
How does a gastric balloon work?
A gastric balloon works by making you feel full by partially filling your stomach. You then eat less and, when you eat your stomach fills up quicker and results in you eating smaller portions yet still feeling satisfied.
Why choose a gastric balloon procedure?
The gastric balloon offers many advantages over weight loss surgeries including:
- A safe, effective, non-surgical and non-pharmaceutical weight loss alternative.
- A quick procedure using minimal sedation.
- You can go home an hour or two after your procedure.
- It’s a temporary support for weight loss.
- More saline can be added to the balloon to make less room in your stomach if your weight levels.
- Less expensive weight loss treatment than surgery.
- It can help you achieve satisfactory weight loss.
- A team of medical experts are available to offer you support.
- It gives you the opportunity to learn and adopt diet and lifestyle principles for lifetime success.
- An alternative aid if you’re not eligible for weight loss surgery.
How much weight can I lose with a gastric balloon?
The weight loss achievable with a gastric balloon varies considerably depending on individual circumstances and commitment to making diet and lifestyle changes.
On average patients with gastric balloons typically experience around 20 and 30 percent weight loss.
Things to bear in mind when considering a gastric balloon
You need to be completely committed to losing weight by adopting a healthier diet and lifestyle, even when the gastric balloon is removed, to achieve significant and long term results.
Weight loss with a gastric balloon can be less and slower than weight loss surgery options.
Am I eligible for a gastric balloon?
To qualify for a gastric balloon, your BMI must be over 27. You should also recognise that you need to change your eating habits to achieve the long term benefits of your gastric balloon.