Dermatology is the branch of medicine concerned with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disorders, diseases, cancers, cosmetic and ageing conditions of the skin, hair, nails, oral cavity and genitals.
The skin is the largest organ of the body and at one time or another, nearly everyone has some type of skin problem. These can range in their severity from being minor through to life-threatening. Skin conditions are often itchy, cause pain and can be unattractive and impact on a person’s self-esteem.
Common skin problems include:
- inflammatory skin diseases (acne, eczema, psoriasis and cold sores)
- skin lesions (moles, cysts, skin tags and warts)
- hair and nail disorders (hair loss and fungal infections)
- excessive sweating
- skin cancers.
Winfield Hospital has consultant dermatologists and consultant plastic surgeons who offer prompt and local appointments for the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of common skin conditions and cancers.
Our mole screening clinic can check all of your moles to offer you piece of mind if you’re concerned about sun damage to your skin or you’ve a mole that’s causing you some concern. We use the latest techniques in skin cancer screening and body mapping using the Dermoc mole analyser.
We offer many non-surgical dermatology treatments including:
- photo dynamic therapy (PDT) for skin cancer, pre-cancerous cells and other skin conditions
- cryotherapy for skin lesions
- steroid creams for eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis
- isotretinoin for acne treatment
- anti-fungal treatments
- cosmetic facial rejuvenation including dermal fillers, skin and facial peels, Dermaroller and laser treatment.
We carry out skin surgery to remove skin lesions and skin cancer and also for cosmetic reasons.
We have the following Consultant Dermatologists at Winfield Hospital